Subject: Re: ipf questions
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/05/2000 15:59:05
On Sat, Mar 04, 2000 at 03:31:02PM -0700, Rick Kelly wrote:

> I would like to use ipfilter on a per-system basis. That is, I would like
> to use ipfilter on single interface systems to block out packets from that
> particular system. Is this possible, or does ipfilter only work for dual
> interface firewall/wouter systems?

No problems doing this, ipfilter can also be used to secure a single-homed
system !

> Also, it looks like ipfilter doesn't actually pick up the rules file at
> boot up, but rather turns on ipfilter while also flushing the rules out
> of the kernel. Is this correct?

The rules are loaded from the /etc/netstart file, and controlled by the
'ipfilter' variable in /etc/rc.conf. It's done this way:
ipf -E -Fa -f /etc/ipf.conf
This will enable ipfilter and flush the existing rules before loading the
new ones. Reading the sources shows that the filter is enabled before
not a big deal.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>