Subject: RE: Printing
To: fission <fission@mb.sympatico.ca>
From: Andrew Crossley <toast@iinet.net.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/28/2000 17:44:53
I don't advocate that newbies print out ALL manual pages.  JUST THE ONES
THEY NEED.  Try reading about csh from the man page on the screen.  Print it
out, get a cup of tea, relax in a COMFORTABLE chair and learn about the
topic.  We spend ENOUGH time looking at screens already.  The man pages look
awful to read time and time again from the screen.  I think users should be
able to both.  Try getting a pen and writing on your screen your personal
settings, notes etc.  You know, the sorts of things that newbies like myself
need to do from time to time.  Not printing might not work for your network
freind, but there are many that still like to reference and read from paper.

Andrew

>On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, Andrew Crossley wrote:

>> Newbies will want to tackle this very early in their NetBSD usage to
print out
>> Manual pages etc, and i need to be fully understanding of this if I am
going to
>> write about it in my book.

>Ouch.  "Print out manual pages."  Heh, I used to do that, but a network
>consultant friend of mine told me not to.  I never quite understood why
>until I constantly ran out of ink cartridges and paper at my house.

ABSOLUTE RUBBISH
>A good piece of advice: try getting used to reading manpages on screen.

Why do people buy and read books then ??
Why am i writing this book ??
--fission