Subject: [Q] disklabel erasure
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <sam@Progressive-Systems.Com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/14/2000 12:27:15
What is the exact command to erase the disklabel on a disk?
If you only want to erase the disklabel, but no other data, what would
you use?

I used "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsd0d count=20" but I suspect count
was larger than was needed.  It was a new disk, so there was no data
on it.

It might be useful to put the command in the disklabel manual page or
better yet, augment disklabel with another option that removes the
disklabel from the disk.  I know this is inherently risky, but there
are times when it's better to simply erase the disklabel and start
over.

Thanks,
Sam