Subject: Re: NetPrint 100/200 Print Server support?
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Erich T. Enke <Erich.T.Enke@wheaton.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/09/2000 20:52:08
NetPrint 100/200:
  A 1993-ish external ethernet print server made by Digital Products
  Incorporated.  See this URL for similar products:
  http://www.datacomltd.com/Osicom/netprint_and_jetxprint.htm

BSD-style lpd connections:
  I'm not sure.  In the initialization script, there is reference to a
  "BSD-style unix" along with AIX, Ultrix, HP-UX, SunOS, OSF1.  And we've
  printed from a NetBSD machine via Ultrix printcap to the NetPrint, but I
  don't think that's what you mean.  The invocation can be done by calling
  their print daemon as the in- and out-filters in the printcap.

Availability of sources:
  Hmm.. most of the files are copyrighted by DPI.  DPI doesn't make
  NetPrints anymore.  Datacom does now.  Would the copyright still apply
  for Datacom?  Even if it were proprietary, is there someone out there
  who has ported their code?

Also, I should mention that this isn't critical.  I need to get a new
print server anyway, and this is good opportunity to toss this one.  I'm
posting this to keep my backdoors available, just in case.

Erich Enke
Wheaton College Science Division