Subject: Re: pdf readers
To: George Sollish <gsollish@mail.gisco.net>
From: Christofer C. Bell <cbell@inetdb.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/09/2000 16:39:33
George Sollish wrote:

> I am trying to access a password-protected pdf file.  xpdf can't open it
> and
> Adobe acrobat appears to check for supported platforms (NetBSD 1.4.1 isn't
> on their list) before opening, so I can't trick it into opening in
> emulation.  Any alternatives or work arounds?

There is a workaround to get Adobe Acrobat Reader to work on
NetBSD/i386.  If you look at the acroread file, you'll note that it's a
shell script.  What I do on my NetBSD/i386 system is edit the script
that so it thinks it's running on a Linux system.  Here is a patch you
can apply to the acroread script to make it work:

*** acroread    Wed Feb  9 16:37:33 2000
--- acroread.linux      Wed Feb  9 16:37:11 2000
***************
*** 134,140 ****
  #
  # setup the configuration from uname
  #
! os_name=`Linux`
  if [ "$os_name" = "AIX" ] ; then
    os_release=`uname -a | ( read name host minor major foo ; echo
$major.$minor )`
  else
--- 134,140 ----
  #