Subject: Re: /usr/home
To: George Sollish <gsollish@mail.gisco.net>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/24/2000 19:54:05
On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 12:59:36PM -0500, George Sollish wrote:
> OK guys, I think we're all in agreement that /home should be somewhere
NO!

> other than / in order to keep / small and clean.  The default install puts
> it in / .  Shouldn't that be changed? (I apologize if my previous posts
> were unclear).
I think you still missunderstand the purpose of /home

/home in / doesn't mean it's *the* directory in that you should create user's
home directories.

If you want you can mount a partition or network file systems there (as you usually
mount one on /usr, /tmp and/or /var) or use /home for the automounter as hier(7)
suggests:
[...]
     /home/     mount point for the automounter; see amd(8)
[...]

You can put your home directories wherever you want. If you don't like
to mount a special file system for homedirectories just leave /home alone or
delete it and create your home partitions in /usr/local/home and/or /usr/home or
whatever.
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.