Subject: Re: /usr/home
To: Nathan Dorfman <nathan@rtfm.net>
From: George Sollish <gsollish@mail.gisco.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/24/2000 10:04:35
On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Nathan Dorfman wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 11:06:56AM -0500, George Sollish wrote:
> > On my office i386 box I run 1.4.1 with the default plux X partition
> > scheme, which puts /home and /var in / .  Not only does this
> > result in a lot being written to /, but Netscape caches rapidly eat into
> > the space.  FreeBSD 3.2 (at home) creates a separate /var and links /home
> > to /usr/home.  This appears to be a better scheme, both for space and for
> > maintaining a clean /. Is there a good reason not to do this in 1.4.1?
>
> # mv /home /usr
> # ln -s usr/home /

Actually how to do it wasn't the question, and since no one said it was a
bad idea (which was) I've made the move on my three boxes.  The question
remains, in this age of browser caches and such, shouldn't the default be
/usr/home?

George E Sollish	Chief Engineer  	 Auto Gear Equipment
			Host	 		 Classic-FM's Listening Room
			Project Manager		 The Payne Lake Project