Subject: Re: Another Manual ???
To: Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/21/2000 20:35:44
On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> I second that. I'll go further to say that POD should be used for
> generating the book and man pages for the project.

  The benefit of DocBook is that the documentation is ready for
publishing.  This isn't true with POD or man pages.  While SGML isn't
trivial to learn, I think that a detailed guide to how it should be used
for NetBSD documentation would make it easy enough to learn.  Those who
don't want to learn it can submit additions or corrections as text and let
others translate.

  If this project does go forward, I would like to try to have it done by
the 1.5 release (if it isn't going to happen too soon) and try to get
O'Reilly to publish (at least part of) it for the release (probably with
1.5 CDs).

  Perl is not going to be included in NetBSD because it is huge and not
needed (though, as mentioned, perl is not needed for POD).

> BTW, I haven't spoken up yet, but I plan to help.

  Great!

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@pgh.net