Subject: Re: Another Manual ???
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/21/2000 14:14:39
At 03:24 PM 1/21/00 -0500, James Wetterau wrote:
>I said I thought POD has some good ideas, specifically its simplicity
>and utility in generating other formats.  I pointed out in what man
>pages you can find out about those features.  The man page I spoke of
>is available via the NetBSD Packages collection.  And I stand by my
>claim that whatever system NetBSD documentation gets written in could
>take a lesson or two from the simplicity and flexibility of the POD
>system.

I second that. I'll go further to say that POD should be used for
generating the book and man pages for the project. It's so damn simple to
use, and you can read raw POD files easier than any other input format. The
person compiling the book has to have Perl on their system so they can run
pod2text, pod2man, pod2html, and so on, but no one else does. You can write
parts of the book even if you don't have Perl as long as you read the pod
man pages.

BTW, I haven't spoken up yet, but I plan to help.