Subject: Re: Help with ppp setup
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/21/2000 10:19:47
>  How do I configure pppd to connect to a dialback CHAP server?

I use the following for my dialback script.  I handle the dialback in the
chat script and don't start PPP until the remote calls me back.

ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO DIAL TONE'			# Abort on ...
TIMEOUT 30 '' ATZ OK ATDTxxxxxxxx		# Short timeout, dial number
CONNECT '\d\d\r'				# Wait 2 seconds after connect
Username:--Username xxxxxxxx Password: xxxxxxxx	# Enter username and password
'NO CARRIER' ATS0=1 OK ''			# Line dropped, set auto-answer
TIMEOUT 90 CONNECT ''				# Longer timeout

At this point ppp starts and does authentication, etc.

If you need PPP to do the authentication when dialing in as well, you can
probably get things to work by using getty to start pppd on that line when
the remote dials you back.  Not tried this myself - you might need mgetty
instead of the standard getty.

                    My other computer also runs NetBSD
                          http://www.netbsd.org/