Subject: Re: /usr/home
To: George Sollish <gsollish@mail.gisco.net>
From: Randy Devol <randyd@rahul.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/20/2000 09:16:41
At 11:06 AM 1/20/00 -0500, George Sollish wrote:
>On my office i386 box I run 1.4.1 with the default plux X partition
>scheme, which puts /home and /var in / .  Not only does this
>result in a lot being written to /, but Netscape caches rapidly eat into
>the space.  FreeBSD 3.2 (at home) creates a separate /var and links /home
>to /usr/home.  This appears to be a better scheme, both for space and for
>maintaining a clean /. Is there a good reason not to do this in 1.4.1?

I am in the habit of putting user home directories (/home) in their own
partition to prevent using up the space in / and it makes it easier
(conceptually) to back up frequently.  I also put /tmp in it's own
partition to prevent it from being a space hog and it *never* needs to be
backed up.  Both of these needs are different than the space and backup
needs of / or /usr so it make sense to me to put them in separate partitions.

But, do I put /var in it's own partition?  I often forget to so take this
advice with a grain of salt. :-)

-=O=- Randy

In "A Scanner Darkly," was Philip K. Dick foreshadowing Web commerce:
"Someday, he thought, it'll be mandatory that we all sell the McDonald's
hamburger as well as buy it; we'll sell it back and forth to each other
forever from our living rooms."