Subject: Re: Another Manual ???
To: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
From: dkphoto <dkphoto@cyber-wire.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/19/2000 23:50:54
> NetBSD already has a documentation mechanism: man pages.  IMO, *all*
>documentation should go into man pages and be automaticly generated from
>there to use as FAQs, install guides, and such.

In general I think the idea of expanding the man pages is a good one, but
did you take a hard look at what you said(?):

Paraphrased, you said: "Let's put the install instructions in the man
pages!!!... inside the thing that we cannot possibly install without
those locked-up instructions! That's kind of like saying, "Let's lock the
keys in the car for safekeeping." If the install instructions are in the
man pages, just how are we newbies supposed to read them?

One of the reasons that famous experts on >insert subject of your choice
here< use ghost-writers for their books is (aside from the fact they
often can't write worth a damn) they are too close to the forest, etc. I
think the problem is just that simple. The people who write the docs for
bsd (and lots of other things) are way to comfortable with it to write
effective documentation. Every other word or phrase is something they
think is so ridiculously simple and obvious that they don't need to
explain it. Unfortunately, it is only ridiculously obvious and simple TO
THEM. Not to others. Just as the bsd old-timers have to take us newcomers
by the hand and walk us through it, some good writers need to take the
bsd old-timers by the hand and walk them through building decent docs.

David Kachel