Subject: Re: Another Manual ???
To: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
From: fission <fission@mb.sympatico.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/19/2000 21:45:44
On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Mike Cheponis wrote:

> David, you are indeed correct, the instructions posted are really only
> simple to those who have already used some unix system before.
>
> To a complete newbie, it is gibberish.

True, true - even to me (a Linux user of a few years), the hardest part
was figuring out how to install.  It was a matter of "okay, I've got the
boot disk - now what?"  (Note that this was NetBSD/macppc which is still
relatively new).

But, as for the i386 port, assuming that you had achieved "advanced"
level of Microsoft's Win9?/NT, you could probably do just fine with the
existing docs.  The installer is easy enough.

> NetBSD has not historically catered to brand-new unix users, but as NetBSD
> develops, it has become easier and easier to use and install.
>
> But it's not at the level of a double-click on an "Install-NetBSD" icon yet.

But, the a question: do we want to do this?  Should we be catering to
newbie users?  I agree that NetBSD should be easier/more documented/etc
but how far should we take it before it becomes a "double-click install" ?
Suprisingly enough (or maybe not, actually), this is one of the reasons I
picked NetBSD - it was a challenge, one that Linux just didn't have.  And
I fought with NetBSD until it installed, until it worked, and until I was
happy with what I had done.  To me, that was the "good/fun" bit.  That
felt good, getting it running.  (Again, it was nothing on the i386 port
but on macppc, things were interesting...).

> But I can guarantee you this:  If you are willing to mention exactly what
> you still need to have further explained, people here will help you.  I have
> found NetBSD types to be the friendliest people around when you need help.

And what you have just wrote brings me to the point where I say: "that's
why I stayed with NetBSD."  =)  (Thanks, everybody.)

> Also, perhaps as part of this experience, maybe you would consider writing
> a "NetBSD for Newbies" guide?
>
> -Mike

--fission