Subject: Re: Another Manual ???
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/19/2000 19:57:50
On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> The thing that makes Linux easier to install is not just the more-complete
> installation script and manual, but the dozens of "how to" documents.

  IMO, this is exactly the wrong direction to go.  NetBSD is a unified
system and should have unified documentation.  In Linux, you have dozens
of install manuals, howtos, faqs, web pages, info pages, and man pages,
all slightly different.

  NetBSD already has a documentation mechanism: man pages.  IMO, *all*
documentation should go into man pages and be automaticly generated from
there to use as FAQs, install guides, and such.

  I therefore propose a new man section, section 0 for New User
Information.  This section should contain FAQs, installation instructions,
and howto type documents.  Existing man pages should be expanded, not
replaced by install instructions.  wtf should be expanded to also deal
with glossary entries and placed into the man set.

  Also, I remember someone has a man->pdf converter.  By putting this type
of information into man pages, it becomes possible to combine the man
pages and glossary, generate a toc and index, and end up with a *single*
comprehensive guide to NetBSD.  This should be done for evey release.
Furthermore, such a collection would need very little work to be ready for
publication should anyone want to publish a NetBSD manual, and would
simultaniously be useful for experienced users and beginners.

  I'm willing to do all the work of integrating the information currently
in install guides and FAQs on the web pages into man pages and providing
appropriate conversion tools.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@pgh.net