Subject: Re: Another Manual ???
To: Mike Cheponis <mac@wireless.com>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/19/2000 15:36:45
In message <Pine.BSI.4.05L.10001191516200.381-100000@NameServer.Culver.Net>, Mi
ke Cheponis writes:
>David, you are indeed correct, the instructions posted are really only
>simple to those who have already used some unix system before.
>
>To a complete newbie, it is gibberish.

Umm -- I've been using UNIX for a *long* time -- the first version I installed
was 6th Edition, on a PDP-11 -- and I have to agree; the NetBSD documentation
is pretty ghastly.  Even apart from PC arcana such as disk partitioning,
what's lacking is an overview.  Yes, there are man pages for, say, wsconf -- but you
have to know in basic terms what wsconf is to decide if that is something to
be concerned about.

The thing that makes Linux easier to install is not just the more-complete
installation script and manual, but the dozens of "how to" documents.

		--Steve Bellovin