Subject: Re: adduser
To: Bernd Salbrechter <salb@hell.gud.siemens.at>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/19/2000 00:27:40
>> I found myself _really_ wanting a scriptable command line utility to add a
>> user. There was really no "macho" value whatsoever in running vipw(8) once
>> on each of seven freshly installed systems just to add the same user account.
>
> Why do you not simple copy the "/etc/master.passwd" to a floppy or over
> the network? In your case all host should have the same users. The only

Because I don't like procedures that make assumptions about master.passwd
and its format.  It is one of the few /etc files whose format I think might
be allowed to change in the future.

I routinely copy /etc/hosts and /etc/group around. But I do not like to
copy master.passwd even though I know it would work.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com