Subject: Re: adduser
To: Andy Doran <ad@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/14/2000 15:48:40
> I think the general idea was that (a) if somebody was incapable of using
> vipw(8) to add a user, we didn't want them on board and (b) nobody could
> have been arsed to write the tools, although obviously that's happened now
> - don't take that as authoritave though.

It's probably close enough to the truth.

I'd just like to mention that while reinstalling seven machines in one night,
I found myself _really_ wanting a scriptable command line utility to add a
user. There was really no "macho" value whatsoever in running vipw(8) once
on each of seven freshly installed systems just to add the same user account.

for h in vader kenobi threepio chewie dagobah organa soda
do
    rsh $h adduser toddpw (args...)
done

Mmm, automation.