Subject: RE: Starting X from /etc/rc.local
To: NetBSD Questions List <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/14/2000 15:46:46
[ On Friday, January 14, 2000 at 09:56:00 (-0600), John A. Maier wrote: ]
> Subject: RE: Starting X from /etc/rc.local
>
> >:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 vt05
> > This tells X to use the fifth (not an actual vty name/number) virtual
> > terminal (/dev/ttyE4 with default /etc/wscons.conf) instead of the
> > one where kdm/xdm was launched from.
>
> #/etc/ttys
> ttyE0	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		vt220	on secure  # Kernel consol
> ttyE1	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		vt220	on secure  # wscons.conf defined
> ttyE2	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		vt220	off secure # reserve for X
>
> #/etc/rc.local
> /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_S3 -query johnam -nolock vt03 &

Seems to me it would make more sense to go back to the old-fashoined way
of starting a graphics system and tie all of this stuff together a
little more neatly:

From ttys(5):

   [[ ... ]]
     or specify a window system process that init(8) will maintain for the
     terminal line.

   [[ ... ]]

     The string ``window='' may be followed by a quoted command string which
     init will execute before starting the command specified by the second
     field.

Mind you I haven't yet tried this in real life with X11 and xdm yet
because I don't have a "headed" machine with wscons.  It may not be as
easy as it looks!  :-)

--
							Greg A. Woods