Subject: Re: CD-R[W] recommendations
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/14/2000 11:00:37
sam@Progressive-Systems.Com writes:
> I am in the process of looking for a CD-R or CD-RW recorder to burn
> CD's using cd-record on NetBSD 1.4.1.

I run -current, so I can't really confirm it for the older code, but
if you have a problem I assume you could always just upgrade.

I just picked up a Plextor PX-W8432T.  It is newly released atapi unit
that writes cdr's at 8x, cdrw's at 4x and reads at 32x.  The latter
claim doesn't seem to be true for any code that I can find.  I can
only get it to read 1x.  (The former 4x and 8x claims have been
verified via a stopwatch.)

The plextor will work just fine with cdrecord and mkisofs (1.12) to
burn iso (and joliet) cd's at the full rated speed.  I've even had
good luck at burning directly from an NFS dir-tree to cd at 8x speed
without an intervening 650-meg buffer file.  (Direct NFS to cdr is
somewhat touchy though.  One time I deleted a 100meg file during a
direct burn and it did cause the internal buffers to underflow ruining
the cdr.)

With fry's now selling cdr media w. jewel boxes for $0.89 and cdrw
media for $0.99 w. jewel boxes I couldn't resist getting one of these.

-wolfgang

PS. Oh yea, the unit does do audio just fine under netbsd.  You can
    easily make a best-of cd from a bunch of audio cds.  The only caveat
    is that some cheesier audio players won't play cdrw media, you have to
    burn it onto a cdr media. (But at 89cents, its not that bad a deal!)
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>
		    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/