Subject: RE: Starting X from /etc/rc.local
To: 'netbsd-help' <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: John A. Maier <johnam@kemper.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/14/2000 09:56:00
>:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 vt05
> This tells X to use the fifth (not an actual vty name/number) virtual
> terminal (/dev/ttyE4 with default /etc/wscons.conf) instead of the
> one where kdm/xdm was launched from.  So you need to set 'wscons=YES'
> in /etc/rc.conf so that /dev/ttyE4 is created also.  This works very
> well for me, and I have not had this type of problem ever on
> my primary

> I think the reason the "password, then <enter>" doesn't work is the
> enter goes to getty/login also, which starts to echo back, etc.  When
> you click "go" or whatever this doesn't pass the <enter> to the vty.

That was it!  I didn't realize the vtxx option of X starts at ordinate 1
not 0 as ttyEx does.  So I was on the right track from the beginning, but
this helps clear things up!

So vt03 == ttyE2
When I realized the problem, I changed ttyE2 to off and everything
cleared up.  The Ctrl+Alt+Fn even works faster!

Here is a sample of my configs if anyone ever trys this:

#/etc/rc.conf
wscons=YES

#/etc/wscons.conf
# screen 0 set in kernel
screen	1	-	vt100

#/etc/ttys
ttyE0	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		vt220	on secure  # Kernel consol
ttyE1	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		vt220	on secure  # wscons.conf defined
ttyE2	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		vt220	off secure # reserve for X

#/etc/rc.local
/usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_S3 -query johnam -nolock vt03 &

Many many thanks Andrew and Tim!!!

John A. Maier
Kemper Military School and College
Director of MIS