Subject: Re: adduser
To: Emre <emre@iris.vsrc.uab.edu>
From: Andy Doran <ad@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/14/2000 13:18:09
On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Emre wrote:

> Ok, this is just a suggestion, so please don't flame me for it :)

I'll endevour to get this response out before anybody else does.

> It would be really nice if in the future version of NetBSD (1.5 maybe?)
> there would be adduser kind of application, like in FreeBSD. Maybe some-

There will be - NetBSD-current has them :).

> By the way....why doesn't NetBSD come with adduser? Every other BSD,
> Linux or Unix comes with it (or useradd).  Is there a specific reason?

I think the general idea was that (a) if somebody was incapable of using
vipw(8) to add a user, we didn't want them on board and (b) nobody could
have been arsed to write the tools, although obviously that's happened now
- don't take that as authoritave though.