Subject: Re: Starting X from /etc/rc.local
To: John A. Maier <johnam@kemper.org>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/14/2000 10:19:02
According to John A. Maier:

>I had a gut feeling that the PCVT stuff wasn't happy with having a X
>server started from a non-login terminal.

No, your guts are wrong on this.  PCVT works fine like that when I was
using xdm with PCVT.

>I like most of you have become spoiled by pcvt's ability to Ctrl+Alt+Fn
>to other virtural consoles. Remember to Ctrl+Alt+BackSpace out of X so
>you can get a local login prompt to shutdown nicely.

If you are using xdm then remember ctrl+r which kills the xdm login
all together - it does not kill xdm though so you need to kill that
before restarting xdm.  This is good for debugging your xdm start up.

>For those who don't understand what I an trying to accomplish...
>I am starting X with the -query switch.  This allows X to query a xdm
>server and get a xdm login prompt.  Efectivly I have turned a fleet of
>486-80Mhz with 8-12Megs of RAM into X terminals!!!

Whee - network booting and all? :-)