Subject: Re: Starting X from /etc/rc.local
To: None <fb@enteract.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/14/2000 10:14:25
According to Frederick Bruckman:

>Also, XFree-3.3.5 (release snapshots) is considerably more stable than
>the version that shipped with 1.4.1, even though I'm still using _S3.
>ISRC XF86_S3 is deprecated in favor of _SVGA (in -3.3.5), but why mess
>with something that works?

FWIW _SVGA does not work properly with my S3 Virge, the autoprobe of
things like memory et al does not happen whereas the _S3V works fine.
I suppose I should bug report that to XFree :-/

Also, I have set up xdm on my laptop and have found that the machine
will not come out of suspend any more.  I have a Toshiba 400CDT and I
suspend/resume the thing at least a couple of times a day.  When I run
X using startx I have been able to have uptimes of 30+ days but with
xdm I have never been able to successfully resume the machine - it
powers back up with a blank screen and nothing happens, if I suspend
it again using the power button and then resume the machine reboots.
Not nice.