Subject: Re: Starting X from /etc/rc.local
To: John A. Maier <johnam@kemper.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/13/2000 15:34:50
On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, John A. Maier wrote:

> I tried starting X from rc.local with the command:
> /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_S3 -query johnam &
>
> For the most part it works, but after I login, odd keyboard stuff starts
> happening.
>
> I open an xterm and it starts scrolling as if the Enter key is stuck.  I
> hit some keys and it stops.  But then other characters will
> spontainiously start printing.

I'm doing the same thing since 1.4.1 on a pair of machines, the
Xserver a 486dx2-66 w/24mb, the loghost a 486dx4100 w/48mb, also
XF86_S3, using wscons on the Xserver. The only difference is, my
rc.local calls "sh /etc/Xserver0 &", and /etc/Xserver0 has only "exec
/usr/X11R6/bin/X -query handy.". (The exec is to get rid of the
intervening subshell. With that, "ps" shows the PPID as "1") I never
saw the problem you describe--I tested the script from the console
before putting it into rc.local. Maybe your Xserver is just getting
tangled up by the job control magic.

Also, XFree-3.3.5 (release snapshots) is considerably more stable than
the version that shipped with 1.4.1, even though I'm still using _S3.
ISRC XF86_S3 is deprecated in favor of _SVGA (in -3.3.5), but why mess
with something that works?