Subject: Starting X from /etc/rc.local
To: 'netbsd-users' <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: John A. Maier <johnam@kemper.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/13/2000 11:58:00
I tried starting X from rc.local with the command:
/usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_S3 -query johnam &

For the most part it works, but after I login, odd keyboard stuff starts
happening.

I open an xterm and it starts scrolling as if the Enter key is stuck.  I
hit some keys and it stops.  But then other characters will
spontainiously start printing.

Three PC and keyboards later it still happened!

I disable this startup in rc.local and just invoked it from a termial
prompt and it works flawlessly!!!

My first guess is it has something to do with X starting, PCVT and no
control terminal.
(I have tried with both pcvt and wscons)

I would love to still start X from rc.local and avoid having to login
from the terminal, any ideas?

John A. Maier
Kemper Military School and College
Director of MIS