Subject: Re: Stopping wildcard expansion?
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/11/2000 01:12:22
> > Two ways work from csh:
>
> csh!!! I guess we bashers have nothing to be ashamed of...

Or to be abashed about?  Or is that just too obvious?

> >      find . | xargs -n 1 grep variable
>
> Here' my "fast find" bash function. This should work under sh, too.
>
>  ff () { find ${PWD} ! -name tags -printx | xargs grep -l $1 | \
>  LESS=+/$1 xargs less ; }

Why ${PWD} rather than . ?

> To use, "cd .../blah/foo; ff bar", then use "{ESC} n n n ..." to comb
> through all the matched files, highlighting any instances of "bar".
> One possible improvement would be to not catch directories, *.o files
> and such. You could easily set "find" to only do Makefile's.

Err, of course.  Did he want to just look at Makefiles?  (^&

My memory isn't up to this; I need access to my X server again so that I
can just flip windows around & cut-and-paste...  (I read the mailing lists
via the web page...which means, via Lynx, at the moment.  (ahem))

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com