Subject: Re: printcap entry, and my printer
To: Sean Matheis <sean@pentex.org>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/30/1999 07:16:46
On Wed, Dec 29, 1999 at 09:00:59PM -0800, Sean Matheis wrote:
> I'm trying to get my HP LaserJet 6MP (6P + Adobe PS SIMM) setup on
> my Netbsd 1.3.2 machine.  I can get the printer to print out postscript
> output, but the following things happen that I don't want:
>
>   * It prints out a bungled header page.
>   * It barfs when trying to print out non-ps (ie. lpr <foo>)
You need an inputfiler for that. /usr/libexec/lpr/lpf is the
standard filter of NetBSD, but I really don't know how to use
it (where's the documentation?)

You can do it the hard way and configure lpf or write your own
filters (the FreeBSD handbook contains some information about this)
or just install "magicfilters" (it's in the package system) (or
some other clever print-filter software).

> Here is the entry in my /etc/printcap file for the printer:

> lp|ps|My HP 6MP:\
> 	:lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/printers/ps:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:mx#0:\
>         :sh=true:
I think the syntax is just "sh" and not "sh=true"... (I may be wrong here...)

If you have installed the magicfilter package, add the line
	:if=/usr/pkg/libexec/magicfilter/<filter>:

where <filter> is one of the dozens preconfigured filters wich matches your
printer best (perhaps "ljet4m-filter"?) or a copy wich you have customized
for your printer.

> I've tried both /dev/lpt0 and /dev/lpa0, and both produce similar results,
Unless your printer is braindead (like HP's Dj690C) lpt0 should be fine.

> in that the header page is printed and I"m not sure where I need to go
> to disable it.  I've looked through lpc, lpd, printcap man pages to no
> avail.

IMHO the FreeBSD handbook I've mentioned above gives a good overview
about the setting up a printer for a *BSD system:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/printing.html
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.