Subject: Re: some stupid question I had to ask
To: Emre <emre@iris.vsrc.uab.edu>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/15/1999 13:50:30
Emre writes:

> Hello Folks!
>
> This question was probably answered already but I want to make sure.

Ha!  This is often asked, but there is not much of an answer yet.. :-)

> We have a dual 450Mhz Pentium II box with 1.6GB of RAM and some RAID stuff
> with it...It's running Caldera right now.  I really want to put NetBSD on
> it because of the networking features (IPF/NAT etc.)
> My question is:
> Does NetBSD support SMP?  If not when is it planned?

No.  Work is being done *right now* to provide SMP on Alpha and Sparc.
There are patches available for i386 that find the second processor, but
nothing more.

Plans?  Nobody publicly discusses plans, if any.

> OpenBSD didn't support neither, the RAM nor the second processor, and I'm
> not a big fan of FreeBSD (or Linux rather).

The RAM shouldn't be a problem.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.