Subject: Re: JBuilder w/ jdk1.1.6
To: None <>
From: Guenther Grau <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/14/1999 15:43:45
Scott Bartram wrote:
> I have unfinished patches for 1.2. I stopped work on 1.2 to focus on
> updating our 1.1 release to 1.1.8.
> According to Sun, we cannot distribute binaries for 1.2 without the
> following:
> 1) pay royalties
> 2) pay for and pass a certifcation test
> Now, keep in mind that this is the "official" position. Linux (Blackdown)
> got a waiver on #1 and I don't think they had to pay for #2 although
> they were not allowed to call it a "release" until they passed the cert
> test.

Hmm, IIRC, Sun has posted an announcement that it waives all royalties
for jdk1.2 (standard edition). See

In the worst case we'll have to way until 2000-01-31 to distribute
the binaries, but I guess it'll take some time to get it running
anyways. But maybe (hopefully), we can to the certification test
for free as well, so we can really call it java.