Subject: Re: Large EIDE drives
To: Jonathan Fuerth <fuerth@jake.capybara.org>
From: Mike Latinovich <mlatin@boing.skysys.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/06/1999 14:47:34
On Mon, Dec 06, 1999 at 03:31:06PM -0500, Jonathan Fuerth wrote:
> Hello.  I just called a computer store to order a 13GB EIDE drive.  They
> warned me that the BIOS on my pentium-class motherboard will most likely
> see the drive as 8GB.  I tried to tell them that my OS (NetBSD/i386 1.4.1)
> doesn't really care what the BIOS thinks (except when booting), and that the
> drive would work fine for me.  They disbelieved me and basically said that
> I can't return the drive if it doesn't work in my system.
>
> This is not a dual-boot system or anything; the whole disk is going to be
> for NetBSD.
>
> Will I be able to plug in and use the 13GB drive, even if my BIOS sees it as
> 8GB?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jonathan Fuerth

Certainly you should be able to;  I've got a 27G Maxtor udma66 drive on
my system.

While the dmesg output doesn't seem to be correct (insofar as the chs info),
the sector count seems to be fine.

 wd3 at pciide0 channel 1 drive 1: <Maxtor 92720U8>
 wd3: drive supports 16-sector pio transfers, lba addressing
 wd3: 25965MB, 16383 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 53177040 sectors
 wd3: 32-bits data port
 wd3: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 3, Ultra-DMA mode 2

-mike

--
o->   Mike "SkyGuy" Latinovich    <mlatin@pobox.com> <-o
o-> Skyline Systems 217/427-5207 <mlatin@skysys.org> <-o