Subject: Problem with new Roger's @Home cable modems and NetBSD...
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Gordon Gere <the.pope@home.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/30/1999 10:13:29
The system is a P90 running NetBSD/i386 1.4.1, with two ISA NE2000 cards
(one for LAN, one for cable modem).

The problem is that it can't talk to the Internet through the new
Terayon (8000029 revD) cable modem supplied by the ISP. It can, however,
talk through a friend's slightly older cablemodem a LanCity (don't know
model no). The friend subscribes to exactly the same service, and lives
2 blocks away. He is on a different (larger) IP subnet.

Specific observations:
In the non-working situation, tcpdump shows ping packets passing out of
ne0, and ping replies passing back in. It also shows ARP doing its job
and correctly resolving the (remote) gateway's mac address. Ping,
however, reports 100% packet loss.

The only thing we changed when trying it on the older cable modem was
the IP address and netmask.. We simply typed "ifconfig ne0 $friends_ip
netmask 255.255.254.0" on a fresh boot.

The newer modem works fine on a windows box.. But I'd like to use it
with NetBSD.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.