Subject: Re: NetBSD ftp install problems
To: <>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/30/1999 10:07:35
On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 29, 1999 at 11:44:53PM -0500, Kenny Drobnack wrote:
> > Hello! I have, a while ago, had problems installing NetBSD from FTP, and I
> > don't have a CD burner and really don't feel like installing from
> > floppies.
> > 	Anyway, here is my problem: when I select FTP install, it asks me
> > to configure the network (fine).  I set the configuration exactly the way
> > I do in Linux and FreeBSD.  Anyway, the install program proceeds to ping
> > my router and determines that my network is not set up correctly.  Anyway,
> > I drop to the shell and try pinging ftp.netbsd.org. It comes back fine!
> > Aparently our gateway/router is set up to deny pings or something? Is
> > there anyway to bypass that check and have NetBSD go ahead with the
> > install?  Also, the network here at this college is using DHCP for
>
> Unfortunably there's no way to disable this check (but I agree there should).
> One thing you can do is fetch the binary sets by hand (your HD should be
> mounted at this point, check with 'df') and later select 'install from
> a mounted partition'.

Last time I tried, I thought it pinged the name server?  Well anyway, I
too have had this problem.  The way I worked around it is:

1)  When asked for the name server, give the IP address of a really local
    machine.  This will let the pings work.  In my case my real name
    server lives on the other side of IP-NAT.

2)  When asked for the ftp server, use the IP address instead of the name
    (because I gave a bogus nameserver).

that seemed to work ok last time I tried.

This problem, was on a sparc with 1.3.x and maybe also on 1.4 but I don't
recall.  I use CD's now!

-Dan