Subject: Re: NetBSD ftp install problems
To: Kenny Drobnack <kdrobnac@mission.mvnc.edu>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/30/1999 12:07:21
On Mon, Nov 29, 1999 at 11:44:53PM -0500, Kenny Drobnack wrote:
> Hello! I have, a while ago, had problems installing NetBSD from FTP, and I
> don't have a CD burner and really don't feel like installing from
> floppies.
> 	Anyway, here is my problem: when I select FTP install, it asks me
> to configure the network (fine).  I set the configuration exactly the way
> I do in Linux and FreeBSD.  Anyway, the install program proceeds to ping
> my router and determines that my network is not set up correctly.  Anyway,
> I drop to the shell and try pinging ftp.netbsd.org. It comes back fine!
> Aparently our gateway/router is set up to deny pings or something? Is
> there anyway to bypass that check and have NetBSD go ahead with the
> install?  Also, the network here at this college is using DHCP for

Unfortunably there's no way to disable this check (but I agree there should).
One thing you can do is fetch the binary sets by hand (your HD should be
mounted at this point, check with 'df') and later select 'install from
a mounted partition'.

> configuration, and I hear that is becoming a common option. Are there any
> plans to include DHCP networking in the default kernel?

dhcp is supported by diskless kernels, it is also supported once the system
is installed. For installs, this support needs to be in sysinst.