Subject: NetBSD ftp install problems
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Kenny Drobnack <kdrobnac@mission.mvnc.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/29/1999 23:44:53
Hello! I have, a while ago, had problems installing NetBSD from FTP, and I
don't have a CD burner and really don't feel like installing from
floppies.
	Anyway, here is my problem: when I select FTP install, it asks me
to configure the network (fine).  I set the configuration exactly the way
I do in Linux and FreeBSD.  Anyway, the install program proceeds to ping
my router and determines that my network is not set up correctly.  Anyway,
I drop to the shell and try pinging ftp.netbsd.org. It comes back fine!
Aparently our gateway/router is set up to deny pings or something? Is
there anyway to bypass that check and have NetBSD go ahead with the
install?  Also, the network here at this college is using DHCP for
configuration, and I hear that is becoming a common option. Are there any
plans to include DHCP networking in the default kernel?
	And, wow, yet another question. I'm thinking of getting a laptop
and was wondering what kind of support NetBSD has for PCMCIA ethernet
cards.  Is it a pretty safe choice to go with 3COM?

-----
In computer terms, hardware is the stuff you can hit with a baseball bat,
and software is the stuff you can only swear at.
   -from a web page explaining what hardware, software, and firmware are
----