Subject: Re: strange loads (again)
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/24/1999 10:24:49
On Tue Nov 23 1999 at 15:42:06 -0800, Mike Hogsett wrote:

> I don't understand why a load average of 4 is a problem here.
>
> My netbsd (mac68k) machine at home currently shows:
>
>    3:31PM  up 1 day, 18:34, 4 users, load averages: 0.28, 0.15, 0.17
>
> as I would expect.  It *is* doing *essentially* nothing right now.
> When I fire up a compile or something then the load average jumps
> to over 1.

On my desktop i386 at home it really has a load average of over 2
always and is running essentially nothing more than xosview and a
loadmeter. If I fire up a compile, say make -j 10 the load jumps up to
~30. I guess i386 is just crap ;P

I think I'll just scale my loadmeters and ignore the ``problem'' until
it goes away.

> My Linux (PIII 500) box at work is also doing almost nothing right
> now.  It shows:
>
>    3:34pm  up 4 days,  5:48,  5 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.26, 0.73

My Linux box is always in Windows, it does more good that way ;)

> > When Joe Hypehype decides he wants
> > unix powah on his PC and notices that Linux has a load average of 0.01
> > and NetBSD has a load average of 10, which do you think he will choose?
>
> Then let him choose Linux.  This is not the kind of person which
> will contribute to NetBSD anyway so who cares if he chooses NetBSD
> or not.

Okay, this is another possible point of view ;)

--
  "Never underestimate the power of the Lite side of the \Source/"
 Antti Kantee   /       NetBSD        \  1973 <- draken   \    / o