Subject: Re: strange loads (again)
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/24/1999 00:46:47
On 24.11.99, 00:30:28, Antti Kantee wrote:
> On Tue Nov 23 1999 at 14:21:13 -0800, Mike Hogsett wrote:
>
> > The load average is fairly meaningless.  It is simply the average
> > number of processes in the run queue.
>
> True, if you happen to know that. When Joe Hypehype decides he wants
> unix powah on his PC and notices that Linux has a load average of 0.01
> and NetBSD has a load average of 10, which do you think he will choose?

I did not follow all of earlier messages, but when my NetBSD boxen do
_nothing_, then their load is <0.01, just like on Linux.

What disturbs me more is that Linux top uses up several % CPU time and
has a very strange idea of what processes not to display in
"idle-off-mode"  and very bad user interaction. NetBSD top takes up
<0.1%, is very responsive and very accurate.

--
Bernd Sieker

Unix, the solution to the W2k problem.