Subject: Re: strange loads (again)
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/23/1999 19:40:18
On Wed, Nov 24, 1999 at 12:30:28AM +0200, Antti Kantee wrote:
> On Tue Nov 23 1999 at 14:21:13 -0800, Mike Hogsett wrote:
> > The load average is fairly meaningless.  It is simply the average
>
> True, if you happen to know that. When Joe Hypehype decides he wants
> unix powah on his PC and notices that Linux has a load average of 0.01
> and NetBSD has a load average of 10, which do you think he will choose?

That sounds unlikely to me. By the time he gets the load up to 10, he'll
have some idea of what it means. I would worry less about the number than
the snappyness of display updates.

I doubt Joe Hypehype could config Linux and NetBSD from scratch and be
confident that they are similarly configured enough to be comparing
load avgs.

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,