Subject: Re: Problem not fixed
To: Oliver <oliverko@dialup.nacamar.de>
From: J. Buck Caldwell <buckaroo@igps.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/23/1999 16:21:18
Oliver wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I posted a lot of mails to this list - thanx for your responses. But my
> problem is not fixed.
> Again: I want to setup my NetBSD box as an gateway (ppp with demand option)
> for my little network.
> On the gateway I also installed named. If I ping or make a traceroute to
> www.netbsd.org from a host inside my net all works. But if I try "lynx
> http://www.netbsd.org" or "ftp ftp.netbsd.org" nothing comes back (the same
> works if I try it from the gateway).
> I'm not sure were I should place the entries for the nameservers from my ISP
> (maybe in /etc/resolv.conf).
> I don't know where the problem is. I hope you can look at the files in the
> appended file.tgz.

Just a possiblility - make sure that your ISP has assigned a reverse DNS (PTR
record) for your IP(s). You didn't meantion if this was NAT or not. I have a
16-node subnet routed to my house, with a NetBSD/vax 1.4 system acting as the
gateway. Lynx, Netscape, FTP, what have you all work correctly. But again, make
sure that you have reverse DNS records defined for each IP you're using, unless
you're using NAT, in which case you only need a reverse DNS record for the one
"real" IP, assigned to the "public" side of your gateway.

As far as DNS resolution goes, there are two ways to go about it:
1. the nameservers your ISP gives you go in the /etc/resolv.conf file of the
gateway, as well as in the appropriate place on each of the other machines.
-or-
2. Make a /etc/namedb/named.conf listing the local server as a forwarder to the
DNS IPs given to you by your ISP, start named, then set the other machines to
use the gateway as thier DNS server.

My $0.02.

 -Buckaroo