Subject: Re: ping,traceroute works but ftp,http
To: Oliver <oliverko@dialup.nacamar.de>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/22/1999 19:58:19
On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 10:21:03PM +0100, Oliver wrote:
> I try to set up my NetBSD box as an gateway for my little network.The name
> resolution is made by a DNS server runing on the NetBSD box (the gateway).
> If  I made a "ping ftp.netbsd.org" or "traceroute -i eth0 ftp.netbsd.org"
> from other hosts (for instance Linux box) I get packages back (I can see the
> route to the host ftp.netbsd.org). But if  I try "ftp ftp.netbsd.org" no
> ftp - login appears or "lynx http://www.netbsd.org" lynx prompts only
> something like "... connected to http://www.netbsd.org ..." without

Ftp, or telnet logins can take up to 2 minutes to start if there's no
valid PTR record for your host IP in the DNS. The far end may be trying to
look up your hostname.

Just to simplify things, try
telnet www.netbsd.org 80

wait for the 'Escape character is' prompt then type 'GET /' and hit enter.

$ telnet www.netbsd.org 80
Trying 140.160.140.252...
Connected to netbsd-www.cs.wwu.edu.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /

(html from server....)

If the Connected line comes up, but Escape... doesn't, wait 2 minutes. If
it comes up after 2m, talk to your isp about their reverse DNS records (PTRs)

(About an Amiga rendering landscapes) It's not thinking, it's being artistic!
					      - Jamie Woods