Subject: Re: Fast machine?
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/03/1999 13:28:23
Curt Sampson wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>
> > Actually, the AMD K7 "Athlon" appears to be the current champ for single-CPU
> > integer performance.  See the SPEC website for details.
>
> It doesn't look like that to me. The best result I've found there
> for the Athlon is 29.4/29.4 at 650 MHz. Even being generous, that's
> not going to get you more than 32 or so on an 700 MHz CPU.
>
> On the other hand, a Compaq AlphaServer GS60E Model 6/700 with a
> single 700 MHz 21264A rates at 39.1/34.7. This is with 8 MB of
> third-level cache, vs. AMD's .5 MB, which is no doubt part of the
> difference. (Performance under NetBSD, as mentioned before, isn't
> likely to be as good, since gcc is not as good at optimising as
> Digital^WCompaq C is.)
>
> On the other hand, I suspect that in terms of price:performance
> ratio, the AMD kicks the Alpha's butt. :-)
>
> (For comparision purposes, a 500 MHz 21164 system rates around 15,
> and a 500 MHz PIII around 21. The best Intel result on the list is
> a 600 MHz PIII, at 24.6/24.6.)

According to the latest Microprocessor Reports, here's the way current
parts stack up:

			SPECInt95	SPECFP95

Pentium III 733MHz	35.0		27.0
Alpha 21264 700MHz	34.7		54.5
Athlon      700MHz	31.7		24.0
PA-8500     440MHz	30.8		48.7
Ultra-2     450MHz      16.2		23.9

Of course, I have no idea what conditions were used to achieve the above
results (highly optimized compilers and very fast systems, no doubt).
However, if you're interested in FP performance, and Alpha 21264 seems to
be the obvious choice.  We're winning in FP, tho ;-)

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation