Subject: Re: Fast machine?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/03/1999 16:01:40
On Wed, Nov 03, 1999 at 03:49:06PM -0500, Curt Sampson wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>
> > Actually, the AMD K7 "Athlon" appears to be the current champ for single-CPU
> > integer performance.  See the SPEC website for details.
>
> It doesn't look like that to me. The best result I've found there
> for the Athlon is 29.4/29.4 at 650 MHz. Even being generous, that's
> not going to get you more than 32 or so on an 700 MHz CPU.
>
> On the other hand, a Compaq AlphaServer GS60E Model 6/700 with a
> single 700 MHz 21264A rates at 39.1/34.7. This is with 8 MB of
> third-level cache, vs. AMD's .5 MB, which is no doubt part of the
> difference. (Performance under NetBSD, as mentioned before, isn't
> likely to be as good, since gcc is not as good at optimising as
> Digital^WCompaq C is.)

Yeah -- it looks like Compaq's finally got the numbers for 700MHz boxes
up there now.  Are they actually shipping yet?

The GS60 is the old VAX10000/AS8200/AS8400 "TurboLaser" platform, right?
That probably explains the relatively poor FP performance; that box was
choked for memory bandwidth with the slower 21264 processors, and it's not
like it's getting any better...

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"