Subject: Re: Fast machine?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/03/1999 14:34:18
On Wed, Nov 03, 1999 at 10:02:56AM -0800, Ross Harvey wrote:
> > From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
> >
> > Okay, here we go: I know there are definitely many factors in this
> > question, but - what is the fastest CPU that NetBSD will run on?  Leaving
> > out mass storage, network, etc... and going for raw processing power
> > (i.e. CPU and memory bandwidth, I guess), I'm darn curious to know what
> > platform would be the most powerful at raw computation.  I'm assuming a
> > good mix of float math and a gratuitous amount of memory access.
>
> I believe the new Compaq ("DEC") alpha 667 MHz XP1000, based on the latest
> alpha ("21264", aka by the project name of ev6 and, I think, ev67) is the
> fastest on both integer and floating point.

Actually, the AMD K7 "Athlon" appears to be the current champ for single-CPU
integer performance.  See the SPEC website for details.

I'm pretty sure a 21264 on one of the more generous motherboard designs like
the DS20 will have more memory bandwidth, though, which is worth keeping in
mind.

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"