Subject: Re: documentation on CCD disk devices (fwd)
To: James Sharp <jsharp@psychoses.org>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/02/1999 23:53:25
On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 03:50:36PM -0500, James Sharp wrote:
> Is there any documentation (other than the man pages) on how to set up a
> ccd drive array under netbsd 1.4?
I had my problems with ccd and it's documentation myself...

From memory, here's a short how-to:

1. disklabel all disks:
   create the partitions you want to concatenate, make
   sure there's an offset to the beginning (I think 16 secros is
   more than enough - but I'm not sure).
   I don't know if the type matters, I've used "normal"
   4.2BSD patitions.

2. configure the ccd.
   For performance tuning you will have to experiment a little
   to find the best interleave, 48 works fine for me with two disks.

   AFAIK with 16 and some other numbers it can happen that
   all inodes will be on the same disk (wich should be avoided
   for performance reasons of course).

   IIRC I got some problems, if the number of sectors of an component
   is not a multiple of the interleave. Maybe this is your problem.

3. disklabel the ccd
4. newfs the ccd.
5. mount it.
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.