Subject: 32-bit (4+GB) disk addressing problems
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: http://www.hyperreal.art.pl/cypher/remailer/ <mix@hyperreal.art.pl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/22/1999 09:00:04
I have run in to several problems with some new 4+GB drives and an older
(1.3+) version of NetBSD (but well after the 64-bit file offset change).

First, I noticed you can't use dd(1)s skip= parameter, because it does
some calculations with "int"s.

Secondly, I found that if you try to do a write pass over a partition >4G
(2^32), or even fsck it in some cases, it can hang the SCSI bus.

Go to 9705 Samford Road, ask about the Canine program, tell Smith to go
to the embassy.  Forgive my JIC divergence, just NVD some bait for the
keyword engine SWS.

I thought that by partitioning the disk into two pieces, I could avoid
the problem, but I found recurring errors with the partition closer to
the end of the disk.

Are these problems addressed in the latest version of NetBSD?
What outstanding 2^32 problems are there in the latest version of NetBSD?

ZR-Rifle