Subject: SCSI support in NetBSD
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Kenny Drobnack <kdrobnac@mission.mvnc.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/14/1999 16:40:27
Hi! I am currently using FreeBSD, but am thinking of possibly switching to
NetBSD for 2 reasons: 1. portability.  2. hardware support.
	The first reason should be obvious, its nice to know you can use
the same OS no matter what kind of computer you are on (well, almost,
where's the Palm Pilot version ;-)
	Now for the second reason.  I have a cheap-o SCSI card I got and
want to get a CD-RW to hang of it.  It just so happens that the older
version of FreeBSD (older than what I have) had support for the SCSI card,
but the newer version is going over to the CAM standard that the ANSI
committee wrote up (something like that anyway).  In short - the newer
versions of FreeBSD support my card, older ones don't.  I tried
down-grading, but some Bad Things happen.
	Anyway, I saw the right chipset and a very similar card on the
support hardware list, but I do not want to clobber my hard drive with a
new OS and realize that I am in the same boat as I was before.
	The SCSI card in question is an Adaptec 1505-AI.  Its a very cheap
ISA SCSI-II card with only one internal connector (no external).  Here's
what the supported hardware FAQ says about my card (or at least its
chipset):
<-snip->
	Adaptec AIC-6260- and AIC-6360-based boards, including the Adaptec
151x, 152x and the SoundBlaster SCSI host adapter (aic). [PnP] Note: you
cannot boot from these boards if they do not have a boot ROM, and many do
not.
<-/snip>
I am fairly sure this card I have is AIC-6360 based, but could be wrong.
From the looks of it, the rest of the hardware is supported on my system.

Thanks in advance for the help!

-----
 We are now the Knights who say...
 "Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG! Zoom-Boing! Z'nourrwringmm!"
      -the Knights who formerly said "ni" "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"
----