Subject: RE: running slow
To: 'Erik Huizing' <huizing@cpsc.ucalgary.ca>
From: Mark Randelhoff <markr@cat.co.za>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/05/1999 09:11:03
>   I recently installed NetBSD/mac-68k on one of my old
> machines, and I'm
> experiencing some wierd problems. Locally, telnetting into
> the machine is
> real responsive. But, when I telnet into or off of the server from
> outside, it is really slow. top and sysstat both say that the
> processor is
> like 95-98% idle, so I'm stumped as to what the problem is. (I'm also
> running ipf and ipnat, if that helps any)

I have found the same thing on 1.4.1 NetBSD/i386.

Running emacs-20.3. Again top indicates that the system is 100% idle;
vi starts immediatly; I can log onto another console without a problem but
emacs loads
(I can hear the drive working) and then just sits and looks at me. Takes
maybe 5 minutes
and then runs per normal. If I load another emacs in another tcsh, same
thing. I have
removed,remade and reinstalled emacs and no difference.

It is not only emacs, our own app does the same thing....

I am also clueless...

Regards
Mark