Subject: Re: sendmail 8.9.3 on i386 1.3.x
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Paul Peterson <P.Peterson@Arrakis.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/31/1999 22:46:35
At 16:42 -0400 28/8/99, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:
>On Sat, Aug 28, 1999 at 08:01:14PM +1000, Paul Peterson wrote:
>
>> My problem is that when users go to send mail from their mail clients (eg
>> Eudora), the forked sendmail dies on a signal 11 before getting to the
>> delivery stage.
>
>I've not seen this before. Can you run through mail by hand? (Id est, telnet
>to port 25 and manually send some mail?)
It doesn't occur everytime I send mail, so I imagine it would work. It
appears to happen it spurts. Since I sent the original message though, I
have moved all the /usr/lib/libutil* files and recompiled. These were old
versions of the library according to the previous administrator and may
have been casung the problem. I haven't done much testing but the problem
hasn't reccured yet... I'm using this as my personal SMTP server for the
moment.

>> I tried using the 'packaged' sendmail from pkgsrc but this seemed
>> to be missing a whole lot of files I required for building my sendmail.cf
>> file.
>
>What's missing? Are you looking in the right places? Assuming you keep your
>packages in /usr/pkg, you should have a /usr/pkg/share/sendmail/cf directory
>in which you can build your cf. I've been using the pkgsrc sendmail and have
>had no problem building cf files with it. Details of what happens when you
>try would be welcomed.
I can't remember what precisely was missing, though one thing that springs
to mind was the file required for virtual users. I had all the correct
directory structure, it was just some of the support files that I required
for building the '.cf' file that I required that were missing. As for
whether I was looking in the right place, well I was able to build the
'.cf' file I wanted from the source supplied by sendmail.org using the same
'.mc' file I was trying to use with the package source version :-)

Regards,
Paul Peterson.

--
      __         Paul Peterson,               P.Peterson@Arrakis.com.au
     / /\        Director,

The box said "Requires Windows 95, or better." So, I bought a Macintosh.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to
please everybody. - Bill Cosby.