Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc
To: Kimmo Suominen <kim@tac.nyc.ny.us>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/26/1999 22:41:56
[cc'd and reply to netbsd-users]

Kimmo Suominen <kim@tac.nyc.ny.us> writes:
> On i386 I decided I really like to have getty running on ttyE0 and
> tty00 instead of running it on console.  This way I can still login
> from both regardless of where the console is.  This is especially
> nice when transitioning from VGA consoles to serial ones, or if you
> like to keep local access available after moving to using a serial
> console.

Yes.  This was the 'right' way to configure /etc/ttys on most 4.4BSD
ports, if i recall correctly, and still is on 4.4-derived systems
which kept its tty configuration style.

NetBSD/alpha ships with 'console' enabled by default, and has the
comment:

# In normal operation, getty on 'console' pseudo-device is disabled, and is
# enabled for the correct 'real' device (e.g. one of the serial ports).

in /etc/ttys.

console enabled by default is 'right': that way what the installing
user happens to have as their configuration the right thing happens.

having the 'normal' configuration be as you describe is a good thing,
too, for the reason you describe and related ones.  I seem to recall
that there were more reasons than that, but i forgot them no more
recently than a couple of years ago.  8-)

cgd