Subject: Re: Question on setup printer for samba
To: None <>
From: Bernd Sieker <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/18/1999 16:20:17
On 17.08.99, 23:22:36, Chan Yiu Wah wrote:
> Hello,
> I splent the whole night to configure the printer for my samba 2.0.3 and found
> out that.
> 1.  When I print a file from the client,  the file only stored under /tmp
>     without printing out.
> 2.  The samba printing similar doesn't like the magicfilter.  I cannot print
>     the file in 1 with the it as the if for my HP5L.  The magicfilter is ok
>     for any printing issue ast the server machine.
> 3.  I had print the print command at [Global] and it is lpr -r -P%p %s.

I found that it is usually easier to create a "direct" or "raw"
printer in /etc/printcap that does not use a filter (or uses 'cat' as
input filter 'if' (see printcap(5)), and install the appropriate
printer driver on the windows machine. I did this with a HP Deskjet
880C and an EPSON Stylus Color II, two printers for which ghostscript
does not have very advanced drivers.

Should work for almost any printer for which you have a Windows
driver (i. e. virtually every printer there is, except possibly GDI

> clarence
> P.S. I also read the PRINT_DRIVER.txt which didn't help me much.

Bernd Sieker

Unix, the solution to the W2k problem.