Subject: Re: digital camera recommendation?
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/11/1999 20:22:59
On Wed, Aug 11, 1999 at 07:15:22PM -0400, mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:

> Any have any recommendations for a digital camera which can talk to NetBSD
> based software to extract the pictures?  We're looking at getting one in
> our lab and I'd like to avoid windows if possible.

Just about any of them.  Try to get one that uses the more common (and
cheaper) CompactFlash cards and not "SmartMedia" -- several people use
CF cards with NetBSD but I don't know of anyone using SmartMedia.

The cards emulate IDE hard disks or controllers (depending whether you
use an adapter wired as an IDE cable or PCMCIA card), and cameras
usually make a MS-DOS filesystem and write JPEG images into individual
files in it.  Very easy to work with.

Personally, I like the Nikon cameras.

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"